MARKET MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
The Red River Market (RRM) Manager is an event manager and a vendor relations manager responsible for daily operations of the Market from late June through late October. The RRM will be open July 8 through October 28 (or as weather permits).
A successful Manager understands both the vendors’ and the consumers’ needs and, in conjunction with the RRM Board, designs and implements strategies to meet these needs. The Manager is required to be on-site at market and available to vendors and consumers the full duration of the market each Saturday. Market managers will be provided three Saturdays off and these dates must be pre-approved with the RRM Board at least two weeks prior to the date of absence. The Market Manager works as a team with the Facilities Manager and Retail Manager under the direction of the RRM board, a group of five volunteers, who oversee the vision for the market and its growth.
- 20 hours per week, including Saturdays 8:00am-3:00pm
- June 1 - October 31
- Compensation is $5,000 total for pre-market and market season which will be paid out $1,000 per month
Managers are required to be available for cell phone contact with RRM Board and volunteer staff on market day and for regular email contact throughout the duration of their employment. Managers must be willing and able to work outdoors and to safely lift and carry 40 pounds. The position requires the ability to work independently as well as interdependently with a team.
Specific Manager responsibilities vary by market and are determined by the needs of both the community and the specific vendors at the market. Generally, the market Manager is responsible for the following:
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with vendors, consumers, and community members, groups and organizations
- Updates, prepare, and approve vendor applications
- Assists vendors, community representatives, and consumers by providing market-related information, conflict resolution, and general aid as appropriate
- Coordinates vendor setup and teardown on market days
- Enforces market rules as outlined in the Red River Market Guidelines
- Assists with volunteer management in conjunction with the retail manager
- Communicates weekly with vendors via email and at the market
- Communicates weekly with the RRM Board, fiscal host (Downtown Community Partnership), and weekly vendors
- Manager may occasionally assist vendors by providing limited set up help and brief personal breaks
Education & Outreach:
- Works with RRM Board to promote the market
- Raises consumer and community consciousness about RRM and farmers markets’ role in the greater Fargo food system through conversations and targeted activities
- Educates consumers about locally grown produce
- Identifies and either initiates or recommends follow-up communication with area businesses and community organizations, as well as local police or other municipal employees, who may provide assistance to the market
- Works with the RRM Board to seek and coordinate volunteers to assist market
- Arrives at market on Saturdays by 8:00 a.m. to coordinate market set-up and stays at market until all vendors have left (no more than 1.5 hours after market closing)
- Ensures safety and cleanliness of the site before, during and at the conclusion of each market.
- Places directional signs promoting the market around the community at key locations prior to opening on each market day, and removes those signs at the close of market.
- Maintains and transmits the daily records and reports required by RRM Board on a weekly basis.
The Ideal Candidate
- Has an interest in local agriculture, food, community, and / or local economies
- Is reliable, friendly, and self-motivated
- Is organized with a high attention to detail
- Has strong verbal and written communication skills
- Has a flexible schedule to accommodate community outreach
- Has the ability and willingness to work with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Has access to a vehicle or the ability to get all supplies to the market